Facebook Yard Sale, Tips and Tricks



Tis the season for clearing out and making way for all of the new holiday toys and clothes. No ones favorite chore for sure, but what if you could score some extra holiday cash in the process? Follow my fast and easy Facebook Yard Sale selling tips and you can clear the clutter and line your pockets this year!

First of all, keep it local. It can be tempting to list your item in all the yard sale groups that you have access to so that they get more exposure, but unless your buyer is willing to drive to pick up, then you are losing profit by driving a long distance to meet them. Stay within a reasonably local distance to maximize profit and ease.

Highball your initial price, always ask more than you are reasonably expecting to get. This gives you bargaining room and makes the person you are selling to feel good about the deal if they can "talk you down". Another part of this is to use retail examples to justify your price, for example, say I was selling this toy car:

I want to price my item at $25 which seems high for a used toy, so to justify my price I would also post this picture with my ad showing what this toy retails for:
After seeing that this toy is an $80 toy, suddenly my price seems very reasonable and buyers are more receptive to a higher price.

Be direct in your ads, for example, my toy does not have the accessories anymore as they were lost. I would disclose this in my ad using a statement similar to this: " Does not include shapes or balls, but everything else is in perfect working condition and price reflects this."  Always list any flaws and show a picture of them, be willing to take a few $ off your asking price if the potential buyer asks due to flaws. Always give all the info in your ad, those that state things like "Mesg me for price and details" give off a bad vibe and have fewer sales. List your price but be open to negotiation, and always list a good description and clear pictures of your items.

So, you have created the perfect ad and someone is interested in your item, now you have to close the deal. Anytime I receive a comment of "I am interested in this item" I always respond with, "it is still available when would you like to meet". This closing statement usually leads to a sale as you get the buyer thinking about pick up arrangements thus committing to the sale. On the subject of pickups, always choose a public meeting area for your exchanges, be safe!

These are the basics of getting started, and I am sure you will add your own tricks as you become more experienced. Happy Selling!

Comments

Popular Posts